Whether it’s jewellery you wear every day or family heirlooms sitting in your jewellery box, it’s all going to need a good clean at some point. You can buy ready-made jewellery cleaning products but they are full of harsh chemicals and often make your jewellery tarnish more quickly – so you need to use it more and buy more product.
I also love my homemade cleaner because you can use it on pearls, gold, silver and any gem stones without worrying about ruining any aspect of your jewellery.
Here’s what you’ll need for my non toxic jewellery cleaner:
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 teaspoon washing up liquid
- 250ml hot water
- Paper towel
- Small bowl or teacup
The salt, bicarbonate soda, and tinfoil create a chemical exchange called an ion transfer, which naturally cleans metals.
- Gather the jewellery that needs cleaning, you can put it all in a large bowl if you’re in a rush but I find it works best if you put one piece at a time in a small container. Take your small bowl and cover it in tin foil.
- Add the salt, bicarbonate of soda and washing up liquid then pour hot water into the bowl – as the ingredients mix the liquid will fizz.
- Drop in your jewellery and let sit in the cleaner for 10 minute.
- Remove from bowl and rinse under water.
- Lay flat on top of a towel or kitchen roll to dry.
- Put on your nice clean sparkly jewellery!
Because there are no damaging chemicals in this cleaner it is safe to do over and over again. Clean your rings, bracelets, necklaces, earrings, anklets and body chains with this quick at-home cleaning solution and make sure you are always sparkling.